Questions & Answers

Questions & Answers

How can a $14.9 million capital project have no impact on the tax levy?

State building aid would pay for 63.8 percent, or $9.5 million, of the project. To pay for the remaining 36.2 percent, or $5.4 million, of the proposed project, the District would use funds set aside in its capital reserve.

Are turf fields safe?

Today’s turf fields are vastly different from those first introduced in the 1960s, which were built on a concrete base that increased the risk of injuries. Presently, turf fields are made with “plastic” grass over a resilient rubber base. This construction increases the fields’ pliability and renders them both softer and safer for high-impact sports. Corroborating other research, an independent study of artificial turf by the New York State Department of Education found no reason to discredit the safety of these fields. In addition, natural grass fields are not without risks. They are prone to building compact dirt when used more than 20-24 hours a week. Compact dirt  creates poor, hard surface conditions that increase the risk of injury.

Why are outdoor restroom facilities necessary?

The proposed addition of restrooms to the Sanfordville and High School athletic facilities is a matter of convenience, as well as safety and accessibility. At present, participants in athletic events, physical education classes, graduation ceremonies and other outdoor activities must walk and/or be escorted to the nearest school building to use a restroom. This causes disruption to programs, requires dedicated staff to escort visitors, and is especially inconvenient for community members with limited mobility.

Why are we replacing windows at Park Avenue Elementary?

The existing windows are not energy efficient, and many have become difficult to operate.